B-Project. Bicycle mini-project.

If I don´t have enough things to do I start to repair a old Colner  road bike that my brother had left in my parents  house. Bike wasn´t in bad condition, I don´t know when was build but previus owner to my brother made some improvements replacing wheels, levers, brakes, cranks and gear shifts. Also replaced the road handlebar for a straight one from a mountain bike.

Some scratchs and rust on the frame, some suspect noises from steering and crank bearings, punished grips  and a ugly saddle are all bad things to fix (tires are in good condition, my bro replaced them few months ago).

My initial plan  was dismount the bike, paint the frame (blue RAL 5012) , polish chrome/aluminium  parts, new cables , adjust  brakes and shifters and mount it again .  All of those  expending the minimun time and money. But already  I  have expended    more time that I expected...and money it´s still on planed. I never  will learn......another on going project...

 ....removing decals with the hot air gun....


...another box...another parts....
...this time from a bicycle...

  ..first hand ...


After this first paint hand I had the absurd idea of paint a flame  detail on the frame bar with the scale model paints that appear in a box that I had there since about fifteen years ago. Paint was corrupted (non homogeneus tone and the paint never dries), I must to sand again, and how not, apply another hand/spray.

  ...second hand...

..not totally happy with the second hand finish I sand it again with  low grade wet sandpaper and paint a third last hand....


On the second/third hand I also painted the handlebar (after cut some centimeters on both ends). Polish the chrome forks (really beauty part) I started to mount again, steering bearings can be used but do not works fine, I must to replace them (like cranks bearings).....


Now I´m in doubt if make a fixie, single speed or keep the gear shifts. Sometimes a visit bikeblogs, and fixed scene blogs and webpages (them grows each day in Spain, like bikepolo) and I like fixies a lot, less weight, less things to be stolen (I want use it as urban bike here in L´Eliana and I must to left it U-locked ) and less maintenance. But if  at the end I´ll  made a fixie conversion I´m not sure if  I´ll keep mounted the front brake . Moreover  I must expend more money...and this was not on my plans...

The only things that I´m sure it´s that I must buy new grips and saddle , probably in white. I´ll post following advances here on the blog.

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails